Friday, March 26, 2010

Books that make you cry

I did not get a chance to do much reading this morning as I decided to sleep a bit later than normal to compensate for Sam waking me up at 4am by pawing my face. She apparently could just not wait a few more hours to be pet. It rained really hard last night as well and I think it was keeping her up and if she is awake, well I better be too!

I got to go to the Red Cross and attend CPR/Defibrillator training first thing this morning instead of going into work. It was pretty cool, the instructor was funny and knowledgeable and I learned some really interesting things. When I got home Sam greeted me with some loud meows, I got her some of her favorite food and decided to take a bath. I looked in the mirror and saw that I had rubbed the skin under my bottom lip raw from the plastic mouth guard I had been using all morning practicing CPR. It is really unattractive. As I got undressed, I noticed I had also had rug burns on my knees from kneeling over that damn dummy. Also, not very attractive. When I mentioned the ailments to one of the people who attended the class with me, they responded with "Wow! Your dummy got the best treatment!"

I got settled into the bath and started reading Caught Stealing, while Sam perched on the rim of the tub so we could relax and enjoy our new book. A few chapters in there is a scene that was horrify for me, albeit well written. One of the thugs trying to get information out of the main character, Hank, beats up Hank's cat and it is very detailed. I bawled. I cried because I was tired and picturing that scenario in my head was revolting. I wept because I love Sam so much.

I got out of the tub, dried off, got dressed and looked in the mirror again. Now, my puffy red eyes match my creepy looking lip and knees.

1 comment:

  1. the worst thing to me is when animals are hurt in books/movies. I always cry. As far as books that make me cry(besides the hurt animal thing), well, a lot of them do. I'm kinda sappy like that.
    Right now I'm reading The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2009. Edited by Dave Eggers. Personally, after reading his first book "Staggeringly best book in the World" (that's not really the title), I think that he's a little full of himself, BUT this book is a great collection of short stories, animation, funny lists and who knows what else I will stumble upon by the end!

    Love,
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete

What are you reading?

What are you reading? Why are you reading it? Did your bff recommenced it and you are too afraid to tell them it is drivel? Did you pick it up at the bus stop? Should I read it?

Followers